Thursday, November 29, 2012

Learning Vicariously

IMG_0179500
Nikisha of UrbanBushBabes
I stumbled upon this last night. Nikisha of Urban Bush Babes shared 30 life lessons she learned on her way to age 30. This is honestly one of the most life changing things you'll ever read. But only if you put it into practice. So I had to share this with you, in addition to noting some of the ones that especially resonated with me (because hey, they all did).

#2 Be transparent. You can't grow and get help if you're not honest with yourself and others. Living a facade to maintain an image is a waste of your purpose. Concealing your reality stunts growth and prevents true change. Every meaningful relationship requires transparency and openness. This means leaving the blinds open with your spouse, family, and friends.

#4 Don't Take Anything Personally. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering--Miguel Ruiz

#5 Don't believe everything you think and feel. Instead say, God show me what you want, teach me to think like you, and help me to feel what you feel. I know in my past I have felt like running away a few times. That would have meant leaving my son Jaden behind. I have also felt suicidal, that would have meant leaving all my loved ones behind. I also thought that two other guys I was with before my husband were my soul mates and I was gonna have an island of their babies. What I'm trying to get at is, I was wrong despite how I felt and what I thought. Trust in what you "know" rather than what you think and feel. Trust me, your thoughts and feelings will eventually follow.

#6 Don't let anyone or anything define you. My past, my clothes, my ethnic background, my college degrees, my role as a mom, my hair, my body, my relationship with my husband, Urbanbushbabes, my job, my friends, my family, my appearance,  my creativity, what someone thinks of me, none of these things define me. My identity is in Christ. I can't base my identity on any one of things because they can fail me at any time. It also allows insecurity and jealousy to creep in because you end up constantly comparing yourself to others, trying to compete against others, and will always have to one up yourself. But I know God will never fail me and I don't ever have to compete because I know who I am in him and that he has a plan for me. Once I realized this, I stopped living for these things, I stopped trying to prove things to people, and I stopped seeking validation from others. I'm nothing in myself, but I'm grateful that I know who I am in him!

#7 Imitation isn't the sincerest form of flattery. Not only do you annoy the heck out of the person you're copying from, but you are just doing yourself a disservice when you do what someone else does. You end up following their vision and purpose and not your own. God created you as an original and he has a plan for you that doesn't look like anyone else's plan. You can't enjoy someone else's gift if you're busy trying to be what they are. And when you're busy trying to be what someone else is, you can't fully be yourself.

#18 Let go of your plans and let God reveal his purpose and plan for your life. God's plan is better than my plan. I ask God to not give me things that aren't for me. God is the author and the finisher of my faith, but God doesn't have to finish anything that he didn;t author. God please, if I'm asking for anything that is not you, don't give it to me! The worst thing I can do is be in a place that you don't want me to be in.

#20 Have a teachable spirit. Allow loved ones to correct you and tell yo about yourself. Correction doesn't feel good., but it's necessary for growth.

#22 Don't stress, don't be anxious, and don't worry. Prayer replaces worry. There is no tea, no exercise, no meditation, etc...that can replace the peace that God  can give you once you really have faith and trust in him. You can't have faith and worry at the same time.

#26 Accept people for who they are now. Everyone has potential but many never fulfill it. Many people hang onto the past or let future hopes and the pretty pictures they've painted cloud their vision. They don;t realize that the past and future don;t exist, only the present exists. So accept them for who they are today, not for who they were yesterday or who you think they will be in the future.

#30 We are always waiting for something, for it to be the weekend, to be finished with school, till summer, till we are 18. We are always got dang waiting, and what's sad is we miss every beautiful moment in the 'present' because we spend our whole lives waiting for tomorrow and for the future, we end up skipping our whole lives and one day we will spend our last day waiting on a tomorrow that will never come.

You can read the full list here.Thanks to Nikisha for sharing this. God and his perfect timing...

No comments:

Post a Comment