Monday, December 3, 2012

Sugar Cookie Fail!

Recipe adapted via the Food Network
I am not a cook. But I love to eat. And every once in a while, if I love something enough, I'll try my hand at recreating it myself. The other day my grandmother bought me some sugar cookies that were just to die for. They were gone that day. (Don't judge.)

Naturally I had to have more. They seemed easy enough to make. A little sugar, a little butter, a little love.



Well unseasoned baker that I am, I didn't realize that adding baking powder would make the cookie dough rise. And that the egg was unnecessary. These things might be fine for some people, but I prefer my cookies to be more crispy than fluffy.

I adapted this recipe, but I used whole wheat flour instead of the all purpose flour suggested. This could account for the difference in taste as well. But hey, these cookies are all gone too :-)

If you're a fan of the fluffy cookie variety, you may enjoy this recipe. Again, I'm not a cook or baker in the least, so try at your own risk.

You'll need:

2 cups of whole wheat flour*
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Makes about 26 cookies

Here's what I did:

Sift flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl and set it aside for later.

In a separate bowl combine the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the beaten egg, milk, and vanilla essence. Gradually add flour into the mixture as you stir. Stop mixing when the cookie dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.

Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Roll out cookie dough and cut into desired shapes (optional). Place these onto a non stick cookie sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes or until the edges are brown. Let cookies cool for about 2-3 minutes before removing them from the pan and then enjoy!

By the way, I'm still on the hunt for the perfect concoction so if you know any good crispy buttery sugar cookie recipes, leave them in the comment section below!

*Because I used whole wheat flour, I didn't need to use a third cup that the original recipe called for. If you're using all purpose flour, you'll need to use 3 cups.

2 comments:

  1. i can cook but i'm about the worst baker on planet earth. i can't even make boxed brownies, seriously. so your cookies look good to me :)
    thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You know, I've always heard that being able to cook isn't synonymous with being able to bake. It's unfair if you ask me...Thanks for reading:-) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete